3/23/2011

When was St. Patrick's Day again????

Okay, I know that St. Patrick's Day was nearly a week ago, but I have had this post in my brain ever since then and I need to get it out so I can...well...be done with it.
Kaylee has always been fascinated by the idea of catching a leprechaun so she can be granted a wish and get a free pot of gold. She comes up with all kinds of things that she would wish for...it changes almost every day. Spencer, on the other hand, has never said much about what he would wish for except on the actual Pat's day this year; he, without hesitation, told me that if he caught a leprechaun he would wish for a nicer mom.

This came out of nowhere, I wasn't being "mean" at the time, in fact, we had had a pretty chill morning, I was perplexed, I didn't say anything, I probably gave him one of my signature looks and ignored him. Then, later that day I was thinking about what I would wish for if I caught a leprechaun and I decided that I would wish for a pantry (I know, that is random). Sometimes I think my house is shrinking and there are fewer and fewer places to put stuff. This is my makeshift pantry:



The sweet, old lady that lived here before us had a washer and dryer there cause she couldn't go down the stairs.
I would LOVE for it to be large and hidden and maybe look like this:
Isn't that dreamy!
My sister in law even has a pantry with sensor lights so you don't even have to turn lights on or off...ahh!

So, as I am contemplating how much better my life would be if I had a pantry, I remembered an article I read recently about being content. I have a VERY hard time with this concept in my life. I know it is good to be content and I know I have tremendous blessings, but, I somehow consistently slip back into wishing for things I don't have.

I have always done this. I remember wishing so hard as a pre-teen that we could just move away to a new town, to a new house where everything would be perfect. We just finished the bathroom in our basement and I immediately started to pine for a new upstairs bathroom. I am often discouraged about how my body looks. I wish I could be a better mom, I wish I were a better housekeeper, I wish...I wish...


It breaks my heart to think that I am making my Father feel the same way I feel when Spencer says he wishes for a nicer parent, and hopefully He knows that I just don't always get it, but will more and more as I grow. It's tough knowing that you aren't always the parent that they want because you are trying to be the parent that they need. So, my focus this year is to be more grateful and I might just post about various things I am thankful for (or I might not, I am not exactly consistent at this stuff). I am grateful that I have such a great family, even though they don't always feel the same way.

I really am LUCKY!!!!

5 who goes there?:

Watt Family said...

I love you, Lys! And I think you are a wonderful mom. You are awesome!

heather said...

I love you too! And I think your amazing! Thank you for this post and the reminder of being grateful for what we have.

The Chronicles of Vernal said...

I am so so glad I read this post today. You are such an amazing person. I love knowing you and feeling better because of it.

Nicole Williams said...

I love you!! And I'm grateful for you sis!!

Corinne said...

One thing you can be grateful for is that you don't live next door to Aunty Kristen! Now, don't get me wrong . . . I love living next door to her, but my kids wish every day that she was their mother! I think I need to tell her to be a bit meaner to them!
And, I think you are wonderful and totally deserve an awesome pantry!