5/26/2008

Memorial Day

Chelsea, Grandma-Great Hebdon, Kaylee, Dad, Brad, Alysia, Spencer and Mom


I have to admit that I never plan very far ahead when it comes to Memorial Day. Collin always has to work so we never plan to do anything spectacular. So, today we went to lunch and headed out to visit my Grandpa Hebdon's grave. I didn't know him very well, he died when I was 9 years old, but I do remember a little about him. I always thought he had the nicest smile. Most of the time before he died he was sick so I remember him always sitting in his bed or his recliner, but I always felt like he was happy to see me even if he couldn't get up to hug me or play with me.


I asked my mom to tell my kids a little bit about him, she told them that he loved to farm and he loved to raise animals. He didn't do these things for a living, but I do remember that Grandpa and Grandma always had animals and a beautiful garden when they lived in the country. They had a big apple orchard that we loved to run around in and a tire swing that hung from a big tree. They also had a big shed that looked like a train car (kinda), we would climb on top of it and watch the sky divers jump from a plane to a big field near their house, we would watch in awe because it seemed such a daring thing to do. We had many wiffle ball games in on their land, too. We had a lot of fun!!! I am getting a little teary thinking about those good times and wishing that I had known my grandpa a little better. He always grew the most beautiful Peonie flowers and every time I see Peonies I think of him.


Next year I am hoping to plan ahead a little better and maybe take a trip to Twin Falls or Salt Lake to visit Collin's grandparents' graves. I really appreciate the opportunity to talk about our heritage. Bradley actually remembered my dad's Aunt May who died last year. We went and visited her a few times before she died and Brad remembered her, so my dad also took the kids to see her headstone which was at the same cemetery as my Grandpa's. It was really a nice day, despite the rain, it was nice to think back and remember those that came before and had an impact on my life.

Love you Grandpa!!!!!

9 who goes there?:

Nate and Melissa said...

A) you DON'T look pregnant, so that obviously means you look FANTASTIC!
B) WHEN did Chelsea grow up?
C) Aw, your parents are as cute as I remember.
D) Looks like a typical Idaho Memorial Day cold and rainy.

Highlights said...

You're a good mom Alysia--we didn't even make it to the cemetary this year. We'll have to have a post-memorial day visit! I love the picture and stories about your grandpa.

JULENE said...

Now you have really made me cry!! That is the sweetest post Alysia. Thank you.

Micah and Jen said...

That last picture is soo precious! I just love it! Glad you went out on this rainy day....crazy Idaho weather! :)

Shilo said...

I didn't know you had a blog! How fun!! I hope you don't mind if I add it to the list of blogs on mine. Love the stories about Grandpa. Hope you are doing well!!!

christa said...

Okay you sucka. . .I got a little teary just reading that, and I am clearly not in the mood for shedding those, I've got kids I need to go yell at! Love ya, sista

Corinne said...

six comments already! It looks like you're picking up more readers! That was a sweet post. Every kid should have a chance to ride a tire swing. It makes me wish my parents would move to a farm!

heather said...

Alysia
Hey, I love this post. Thanks for those memories. I know Chris appreciates them as well.
Also, You look so cute in the picture with every one! You don't even look like your pregnant!
love ya

Letti said...

What a sweet tribute. I have never thought of taking my kids to the cemetary. I think that maybe we should start. All of my relatives that have passed are buried in Utah. We could visit strangers too I guess.