There have only been a few times in my life that someone has said something that truly hurt my feelings, usually I can get over stuff fairly easy but sometimes I have a harder time, we've all been there, right? For example, a couple of years ago I was at church and a lady asked me if I was expecting. I told her kindly that I wasn't, I mean, I know I have a pooch and I look like I could be 4 months pregnant all the time, this came as no surprise to me. However, she proceeded to share with me that her daughter is 6 months pregnant and that we looked about the same...erch...hold up...what did you just say? Seriously, I was stunned and said nothing at all, I just turned around and walked away. Honestly, I went home that day and cried a little, decided to start working out more and swore to never wear that outfit again. I'm not sure how she thought I would feel after she said that. You know maybe she just said it without thinking...I don't know, this is just one of my examples.
The other day at the store a different lady said something to me that has really been bugging me and I am using the internet to vent my frustration. Kaylee and I were in the fabric department at the store picking out some fabric for a little project we were doing that night (girls night). There was a couple there from our stake and I started to chat with them a little when the lady says to me, "You know I knew Collin when he was younger and from what I've seen of your older two kids I think that Collin deserves those kids." (stunned silence from me) I just said, "oh yeah?" and walked away. You know, I've gotten a lot of comments like that over the years about what a crazy kid Collin was and it's these comments that make me wish that we didn't live in this town. When does Collin get to outlive his childhood? Sure, he was a wild child but now he is a great dad, an awesome husband, a willing provider, a worthy priesthood holder, a ton of fun, handsome, never turning away the opportunity to serve others...I could go on and on. And, seriously, to insult my children to my face is cruel, but I guess maybe she's right, Collin does deserve to have the greatest kids in the whole world...so there!!!
1/25/2009
What the....?!?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

21 who goes there?:
Amen Sister...He is also a great Son-in-Law and Brother-in-Law. We couldn't have asked for any one better to marry our daughter. Love you both!!!!
AMEN AMEN AMEN!! WOW...I can't believe some of the things people say. Do they not THINK before they speak!! You have an amazing family with an amazing husband!! We love you all very much!! Who cares what they say, we/you know the truth!! LOVE YOU GUYS!!
Just one reason I'm glad I don't live in B-town anymore.
And I like what you said in your last sentence -- he DOES deserve the best kids in the world...and he's got some of them.
Punch him in the gut for me, okay?
Argh! Some people and their opinions! I feel for you. I get that a lot in regards to Nate but mine comes more directly from his family and it irks me too. Why can some people not get over the past! Anyhow....you both deserve the beautiful family that you have. Love ya!
I like to believe that all people have kind intentions, but when I hear comments like this it makes me think again. Don't listen to them...your kids are great and you and Collin are doing an awesome job. (And some of my kids are challenging and I like to think that Heavenly Father entrusted them to Mark and I because He trusted us not to damage their spunky spirits and to let them fly!)
Damn straight!!! B-town has the some of the best people around and some of the biggest idiots in the world. Zero tact from living a sheltered life...you would think that they would understand the Atonement a little better than to harbor ill feelings toward a grown man for things he did as a child. Anyway, don't sweat it sis, we all know those people are freaking retarded.
Wow, I don't even know what I would have done. Do you want me to go bust a cap on those people....On second thought I will just say that they are crazy. Your kids are fun and we had a good time with them.
For the record, I think you have the cutest kids! I don't think people mean to be hurtful, but there are sure alot of social retards out there flapping their idiot gums. Living in a small town is a curse and a blessing. I have totally felt your pain. I think Collin is totally fun and I love hanging out with you guys. AND I think you are a knock-out!! You do not in any way look pregnant, that made me laugh. I have SO been THERE!
WOW! Some people just don't think before they speak! Sorry you have to put up with stuff like this...sadly...that is just what small town Blackfoot is like! I think your kiddos are AWESOME and we just love Kaylee at our house! :)
Oh the sheltered folk of B-town.... I bet this lady doesn't even know half of the crap her kids have done or are going to do, nobody's perfect and the fact that she has the guts to say something like that shows how much class she has. You're better than me, I would have told her where to go... Have fun riding the train to bitterville lady... Collin adds excitment to our family and so do your kids and we all love it!! Who cares what jerk faces think.... Love you sis....
People say the stupidest things. I've had people say hurtful things about my step-kids to me, thinking that it won't matter since I'm not their "real" mom. I've had people try and disguise a rude comment as a complement about any of my kids and it just kills me. I also think that people forget what kids are really like when they don't have any little ones running around. Collin is awesome as well as your kids :) And I totally agree with what Melissa said.
What is Chelsea's e-mail? So maybe she'll let me read her blog?
I love you so much. I love that you wrote that and so true....the guts people have out there to say things like that. we get that kind of stuff all the time too, because I don't know if you have noticed or not but Steven and Collin are quite a like. Duh, they're almost the same person. They always say things like...what did you do to have to get married to this guy, or can't you train him etc...I love having someone who is so much fun too, life is never boring and personally I think your children are some of the most well behaved kids on this planet and that is due to them having some of the most amazing supportive and loving parents out there. See you soon.
AMEN yet again! I'm with you, Lys. Especially being Collin's little sister and knowing first hand about his teenage years (and often being a beneficiary of his craziness, or at least his towel-whipping), I'd say that there is absolutely no reason that anyone should still be bringing it up if they know him now at all. I can always count on Collin for anything and everything and I know I'm not the only one who can. He is a good man and a good father. Not perfect, but definitely good and righteous and trying and completely undeserving of rude comments like that. I love him and I am so very glad that he is my older brother.
As for your kids--I love 'em!! I wish I knew what that woman was trying to allude to, because I think they're great (and nowhere as crazy as some others I've met--I mean, come on, people, seriously). And by the way, I am inspired by your example of motherhood and it seems to me like you and Collin compliment each other very well in raising your children. I hope that when I have children I can follow your example in many respects.
Keep venting, Lys; it's good for the soul. ^_^ I love you.
You do have a great husband. He made working at blackers worth getting and going to work every day....I think he is the only man out there that can simmer good ol' murdock when he is in one of his moods...Not to mention franny as well...He is a good guy with a good family.. Jandell
What the "MOFO." You know I'm going to get a concealed weapons permit so when Obama passes that "shoot stupid people on sight" law, I can just start cappin' people in the asses. I figure Blackfoot will be about the size of Basalt within about 13 hours.
Sorry Lys, some peeps are just beyond stupid but really we should feel sorry for them. . .think of how bad their chaffed buttocks must itch--cause I'm pretty sure they are not even smart enough to wipe effectively. However, someday they will be able to buy some cream for that when they are working for Kaylee!
Maybe both of those people are from Canada!
For the record, having grown up with Collin - I have ALWAYS loved him and loved being around him. You are both great. When we moved to Utah, I remember hearing you were dating and laughing because you were SO quiet and he, um, wasn't - and that's one of the reasons he's a keeper. What a perfect pair you make - they're just jealous!
Okay, I want you to memorize what you just wrote on your blog, so the next time someone says something like that you can whip that out. Than smile and walk away!
Sorry I'm so late with my 2 cents worth. People don't say stuff like that to me because they know they will get a verbal slashing. However I sure got a kick out of Crista's comment. I always knew that my kids were smart and inquizative. Probably spelled that wrong - too bad they just couln't keep up with them. My children are the best in the world and have the very best spouses and children of the own. So there! to whomever said that. Love you all forever!!!! PS Next time maybe a sweet smile and kick off their kneecaps would do.
Post a Comment