Last night was a rough one, but I need to go back a little to help explain why...
...at different times in the past 3 months Spencer and Tyler have respectively reached certain milestones. Spencer had been working for a long time to stay dry at night and has finally graduated out of night time pull ups, yay!!! Tyler moved out of his crib into a big boy bed and also gave up his binky (he was chewing holes in them). It has been an especially difficult transition for Ty, he just seems to enjoy making things harder than they have to be. So, back to last night...
...10:15 pm - Tyler finally goes to sleep after an hour of reading stories, refilling the sippy cup, finding the right music to play, locking him in his room, and finally me laying down in his room with him to get him to stay in his bed.
1:45 am - Ty wakes up screaming, I run in to calm him down before he wakes up Spencer. I refill his sippy cup and change his diaper. Spencer suddenly starts talking in his sleep about how he can't hold it any longer. I wake him up and tell him to go potty, only to realize that he already has. I clean him up and put him in my bed with Collin and I. By the time I go back to bed it is about 2:30.
3:45 am - I hear this awful, finger-nails-down-the-chalkboard sound and CANNOT figure out what it is...five minutes later, again. This time Collin wakes up too, and I realize that Spencer is grinding his teeth! Oy, that is a horrible, horrible sound! I wake him up and help him get more comfortable...it only continues for the next 30 minutes (at least now I know why he has been complaining about his teeth hurting and having a headache - it seems so obvious now).
4:30 - Ty wakes up again, I refill the sippy, but he refuses to sleep in his own bed and keeps running into my room and climbing in mine. Plus, he is not at all happy to see that Spencer is already there...drama, drama, drama. I put him in my spot. Finally he is sleeping again. I move out to the cozy chair to try for some more sleep. It is a cozy chair, but unfortunately for me, it's no bed. I try for the next 30 minutes to sleep, but alas, it's not happening.
So, here is the good news...I made it to the gym this morning, at 5:30. That hasn't happened in a long time. I am, however, so very tired today. It's like having a newborn, and maybe that is why this is all happening - to help me realize that I like getting sleep at night and that I have my hands overflowing just keeping up with the kids I do have...I don't think we'll be adding any more!
I am not sure what to do with Ty-guy. He is HIGH maintenance, and even though Kaylee was a hard toddler as well, I don't remember feeling so hopelessly at a loss at what to do (maybe that's just it - I don't remember). I sort of feel like I need to get on the Super Nanny show, although when my mom said something about that a while ago it made me cry. Being a mom is hard. I'm not really looking for sympathy, I know every mom has difficult nights and/or days. Maybe I just needed to get this out so that in the future when my kids are parents and I feel a prompting to go pick up my grandkids and take them to the park, I'll do it because I'll remember what it's like to be so depended on and therefore, so exhausted.
Peace Out!!!!

7 who goes there?:
I love you, Lys!! You're such a good mom! I'm sure I will be calling you when my kids reach those milestones! If only we had an instruction manual on how to do it all...that will be the day :)
Wish we were closer and we would take them out for a day! I hope Ty gets better and starts being less difficult. *HUGS*
Cannon will be 2 tomorrow and I am dreading the day (MONTHS in the future) when I have to take him out of his crib and take away his binky at night. I know those nights will be just like the one you described.
I know you don't want sympathy, but you're still going to get it from me. Actually, you're going to get empathy. And I hope you get a great day and a few great nights to make up for this tough one.
LOVE YOU.
Oh man. Thank you for helping me see that I am certainly not the only one that is up at all hours of the night! It seems strange but this post actually has made me feel more positive about motherhood. Thank you.
Man that sucks. Note to self: don't have kids if you want sleep. If I were home I would totally come and help you out. Even though Tyler doesn't like to be out of your sight.
Love you. Kids sometimes suck, but you are seriously awesome for sticking with his no binkie. Plus you are super woman, you went to the gym when you were tired. Me, wouldn't have done it.
I can't believe you still went to the gym! And Collin snored on? That would be Brian! You're making me a little anxious for similar milestones in my near future. I guess I should cherish sleep while I can. Kristen gave a great talk on motherhood today. At first I had to fight the urge to feel guilty for not being better, but for the most part it was just about how important motherhood is and it softened me a little towards my physically, emotionally and mentally draining children.
Post a Comment