9/10/2010

I don't need you anymore...sorry.

So here's the funny story about Spencer's first day of school:
Spencer gets picked up for school by the bus right in front of our house (dreamy) and then after school the bus takes him to the elementary school where the older kids go to school so he can walk home with them. Well, naturally, I wanted to be there the first day he rode the bus so we could figure out the little details, like where the kids will pick him up, and I wanted to hear all about his exciting first day. I had this vision in my head about him running off the bus and into my arms, giving me a big hug and saying, "I had the best day ever!" and then we would all walk home together and I would hear all the details of his awesome day. BUT, here is how it really went down:
I see that Spencer is about to get off the bus and I drop to my knees with my arms outstretched ready for a big hug, he steps off the bus and looks at me perplexed and says, "What are you doing here?!" I said, "Hey, give me hug, how was your day?" He just said it was good and walked away from me, leaving me there on my knees in front of like 10 other moms. I was crushed and a little embarrassed. But, to pour salt on my wound, while we were walking home together he says, "Hey mom, could you please not come get me again?" Yeh, no problem Spencer, uh, let me just wipe this tear from my eye.

5 who goes there?:

Jocelyn said...

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!! Too cool for school already!
Man, moms have to have seriously tough skin for all the crap we take from our kids.

Corinne said...

Collin told us that story last night! So funny, and a little sad. It's always exciting to see them grow up, just not when we're expecting them to stay little!

Watt Family said...

Man I'm sorry Lys!!! I still need you if it makes you feel any better and you can come pick me up anytime! :)

Heather Sellers said...

aww I am sorry, Spencer is so funny. We miss that kid

heather said...

Man, I think I really would have started crying really hard and all the moms would have thought I was crazy!
I would have run into your arms, but that's just I like your hugs. :)